Thursday, July 11, 2013

In Sickness and in Health

Hey everyone! :) I've gotten some requests to talk about my kids when they are sick and how I deal with it all! I have different systems for the older and younger kids, because they all have different personalities. When Brielle is sick, she stays home from school and usually just lays in bed all day on her labtop/iphone. If she has the stomach bug or something stomach related, I will usually give her toast and gatorade, but if she just has a fever or a cold I will make her soup. When Blake is sick, he doesn't like to be bothered with! He will just sleep in bed all day, and wake up magically all better! I will usually wake him up for lunch and a few times to give him food and drink, but other than that I just leave him be! He is one of those kids who gets sick a lot, but when he does it's only for a day or so. Ryan, or the other hand, gets sick all of the time! And when he's sick, he's majorly sick. When the older ones are sick, I don't usually take them to the doctor, unless they are out for 4 days. But with Ryan he always seems to get a bad cold and along with it comes a cough! He is sick in bed for a week or more, with visits to the doctor multiple times to make sure he's okay. And he's not the best guy to be sick! Ryan complains a lot about missing his sports games/practices, and just complains about being sick in general! He doesn't like a lot of food, so it's hard to get him to eat things while sick, because he doesn't like soup or toast. Ryan will usually lay on the couch in the living room watching TV while I flutter in and out of the room, checking on him all of the time. But, compared to Colton and Tristan, Ryan is super simple! As all mothers with young kids know, toddlers sick is quite a big deal! They get colds all the time, so they are always stuffy and snotty because they can't blow their nose yet. When Colton is sick, he acts like he's not and is always fighting with me about doing things! I won't let my kids run around outside when sit, they can sit in a chair and read a book or color or something, but no running and doing crazy things, which is tough for Colton! He is always screaming and crying and takes up all my time whenever he is sick, and won't want to eat food! I practically have to force food down his throat. Tristan is a little easier, though. When he is sick, he just wants to cuddle on the couch with me and sleep on me! That's great for a little, but when I have to get up, that's when it breaks lose! He screams and cries and doesn't want to lay down by himself, so sometimes I just end up carrying him around the house, talking to him and singing to get him to sleep, and then after he's sleeping I put him to bed so I can get things done! When he wakes up he'll scream and cry again, but he gets over it! I'm so glad he's only like this when sick and grumpy, if he was always clingy that would be really tough for me! So the only other thing I'm going to address in this post is how I clean when my kids are sick. I try to keep my sick kids in one place, like keep them on one couch instead of switching back and forth. Brielle and Blake are easiest, the germs are in their room and as soon as they go back to school I disenfect their bedrooms and I'm pretty much done! But of course I will always disenfect the bathroom, and all of the doorknobs and just lightly clean the rest of the house, whever germs may lay. But with the little ones who can't sit still and do stuff everywhere, I do a major house clean! I wipe down everything in the kitchen, living room, bathroom, playroom, their room, doorknobs, and pretty much everywhere I can, in hope that germs will not come back! So I hope you guys enjoyed this post, please comment requests for future posts! :)

1 comment: